MAGAZINE PUBLISHED:Kenny Chesney, Steve Miller Rock Tootsie’s in Nashville




After Kenny Chesney and Steve Miller collaborated on songs like Kenny's "I Go Back," and Steve's "Jet Airliner" for a CMT Crossroads taping at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on March 2, the pair brought the party over to Tootsie's Orchid Lounge, singing songs like "Mind Your Own Business" by Hank Williams and "Love Struck Baby" by Stevie Ray Vaughan.

“If you're at the Ryman and you want to do it the way the old Opry stars did, everybody knows it was out the back door of the Ryman, cross the alley and sneaking in the back door of Tootsies," says Kenny. "Kristofferson drank there, and Willie, Hank Williams, and Patsy Cline. If I was gonna show my friend what this experience was all about—especially after a night as great as our 'Crossroads' taping had been… then we had to do Tootsies!” Kenny has previously performed at the tiny venue with the Wailers and Kid Rock.

No air date has been set yet for the CMT Crossroads episode, which also found the pair reaching back into the vault for "I Want My Rib Back," a tune from Kenny's album In My Wildest Dreams, which was first released in 1993. "Steve wanted to do this," Kenny told the packed crowd at the Ryman. "And I told him, 'Oh, my God, you've been listening to my early records'." Steve also pulled out a selection from the archives, a cover of blues great Jimmy Reed's "You Got Me Dizzy." Kenny and Steve teamed for Steve's rock classics "The Joker" and "Abracadabra," which featured a sizzling fiddle solo from Kenny's band member Nick Hoffman.

No comments: