Martina McBride : LP Field Press Conference CMA Music Festival 2010

Martina McBride LP Field Press Conference CMA Music Festival 2010

Q: Can you tell us about all the things you have going on this week during CMA Fest?

MM: We look forward to this week all year. It is so exciting and I try to cram in as much as I can. We did my fan club party yesterday, singing tonight and the YWCA Charity Auction tomorrow, it is fun and exciting. Everyone says that, but it is a great opportunity to say a big thank you. The fans plan their whole year around this festival. They take time off work and this is their vacation, they stand out in this heat for hours and hours just to see their favorite artist. It is very touching

Q: Can you talk about this festival and their promise to give money to the flood recovery and what it means to Nashville?

MM: I think it is fantastic that this festival is giving money to the flood relief. When you think about it, it is a way for the whole country and even the world to help rebuild the city they love so much and means so much to them. We have fans come here from all over the world. I think that is a really great connection.

Q: How does this performance on this stage tonight stand out over all the other performances you give every year?

MM: That is a good question; because every time I go on stage I try to give everything I have, connecting and giving back. I guess there is just something about this whole week, building up to the show and I think that the fact that there are so many fans in one place at one time and they have traveled from all over the world and are so excited to be here and just waiting for just one moment with their favorite artist. There is something heartwarming about that and the loyalty they have. When you are doing your own show, people come to see you sing but this, everyone is coming to see all of country music and I think that is really great.

Q: Do you think it is harder for new female artists to break through today and why do you think that is?

MM: I don’t know if I would say that. I think we have had a couple of huge breakthroughs in the past few years. I don’t really spend a lot of time worrying whether it is harder or easier for a female in this business, I just try to do what I do. That is another conversation.

Q: The past few years, you have seen a lot of new things, you are with a new manager, you worked with a new producer, Dan Huff, on your new record and you probably completed your most successful tour production wise, the “Shine All Night” production with Trace Adkins. Can you tell us what these changes means as far as future projects and tours?

MM: The challenge is being lucky enough to have a long career, the challenge is to keep it fresh, keep it new. Sometimes the people you surround yourself with, you have to make sure they still have as much energy and passion for your career as they did in the beginning. That is the challenge, finding the right people that get up every day and live, eat and breathe this business and want to see me succeed even more. Sometimes it is just time to change it up, get new fresh energy. Yes, there have been a lot of changes this year and I am so happy.

Q: You have had a lot of collaborations with your friend Kid Rock, the most recent, the CMT Music Awards. You are going to be appearing on his new album along with rapper T.I. You said Kid Rock saw the real redneck in you? What kind of redneck are you?

MM: What kind of redneck am I? That is a longer conversation as well. Everyone says that it is a weird pairing, me and Kid Rock, but it doesn’t feel weird when we are together performing. It is exciting that he singled me out to be part of his project and I think that is an honor.

Q: You are an avid Twitter user and I wondered how you feel about “Drunkin’ Martina” and if you follow her or him?

MM: Yes, I do. I think it is hilarious. That is all I am going to say.

Q: With Father’s Day coming up, can you tell us the best advice your father ever gave you?

MM: The basic advice he gave me and all of us kids was to work hard. I was raised with a really strong work ethic. If you work hard enough, you had just as good a chance to be successful as anyone else but it wasn’t going to be handed to you. He still asks me if I am happy and I love that. The message in that is do what you love and love what you do and work hard at it.

Q: What do your girls like to do during the summer? Do you have any trips planned?

MM: We are kind of having a low key summer. The girls have gone to a couple of day camps. We have a trip planned to the West Coast to do some tour dates starting the end of June. We are going to travel up and down the West Coast. We are really looking forward to that because the only time we get out there is during the summer because of our tour schedule and school. We are looking forward to spending some time on the bus.

Q: Can you talk a little about your feelings for the Lilith Fair?

MM: I was a part of Lilith Fair for two years the first time around and it was such an inspiring experience for me. It was right before I did the “Emotion” album and I can remember being so inspired by the way the tour was. It was all inclusive. Once you got there and stepped off your bus, you were welcomed with open arms, everyone got out and watched other shows, no one hid on their bus until show time, and it was just a really cool vibe. Musically it was inspiring to me as well. It was right when Sarah McLachlan’s “Surfacing” album was out, I love that album. I can remember thinking that if I ever headline and tour, this is how I want it to feel on my tour. I want it to be happy and laid back, joyful. That is what I took away from that tour. I am happy to be going back and being a part of it this time.

Q: You like to blog; a lot and you recently wrote a blog that you like to plan parties and even offered to make peach cobbler. Have you ever planned a party that really stood out? What were your best moments of party planning?

MM: My cobbler is killer! I did a Mexican themed dinner party for some friends. We had a Mariachi band, Margaritas and I cooked all the food. It was fun because it was very colorful. I love to plan parties and cook and if I didn’t do this, that is probably what I would be doing, a caterer or party planner.

Q: You had talked about your girls going out and doing some flood relief the last time I talked to you. Did you go out and do that and how were they affected?


MM: We did go out and drove around and looked at everything. I talked to some people and delivered some water. I wanted them to see firsthand what people were going through and the affects of it. It did affect them, it is hard not to be affected when you think about this is our community, our neighbors and friends going through this devastation. I grew up in a very small town in Kansas and it was all about community when there were only 200 people in the town. When someone was having a hard time, you really depended on the people in the community to pull together and help you. To me, Nashville feels very much that way. It feels like a very small town in that way. I think it is very important to teach me children that.


Q: Historically, country artists have had a very specific look but thanks to you and Carrie and Faith, you have put us on the main stream red carpet. Can you talk about that transition in your career? From boots and big hooped skirts and poofy hair to rock star?


MM: I think that at some point, we realized there are no limits. We all love fashion and it is fun to play with it and try new things. I think as long as it comes off as genuine and honest and you are not trying to be someone you are not, it works. It is fun to change it up.

For additional photos of CMA Music Festival LP Field Backstage visit http://MomentsByMoser.zenfolio.com/lpbackstage
Transcribed by Pam Stadel for Digital Rodeo

No comments: